Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Rockbridge Cabernet Franc


I live in Virginia, and while there are pros and cons to that, one good thing is that here in Virginia, we're big on making wine.  While we do some varietals better than others, one that seems to thrive here is the Cabernet Franc.  For my wedding my wife and I were given a subscription to a Virginia wine of the month club.  This past month we recieved a pair of wines from Rockbridge Vineyard.  One a white that was far too sweet for our tastes, and the other a Cabernet Franc.  


The Rockbridge Cabernet Franc has a nice earthiness to it that I find quite enjoyable.  A very dry Cabernet Franc, this red wine went great with a very sauce-heavy pasta and red sauce meal I prepared.  The one thing I did notice was that after my meal was finished and I was just drinking the wine, it was a bit too dry to be enjoyed by itself.

This is a great wine to eat with a hearty red sauce or juicy steak, but if you're looking for a wine to drink by itself, I think you can find a better Cabernet Franc for that purpose.  I give the Rockbridge Cabernet Franc 2.5 stars out of 5 since it'll go great with a meal, but leaves something to be desired by itself.

No comments: