Friday, May 30, 2008

Bell'agio Chianti


I'll be the first to admit that I picked this wine up on a whim because I was in the mood for a chianti and the bottle caught my eye. Fortunately, it turned out to be really good for the price. Coming in at around $8.99, this Italian Chianti reminded me of exactly what it is I like out of a chianti - a simple wine that I can enjoy by itself or with a nice meal.


I enjoyed this chianti with a meal of Italian style meatballs over rice with a brown gravy - nothing fancy, but nice and hearty and warming on a day when I was, admittedly, feeling a bit under the weather. The nice tannins and dryness were exactly what I was craving, and while there was nothing complex or pretentious about this wine, it was the perfect compliment to the simple meal that I was enjoying.


If you're looking for a chianti that will redefine the varietal for you, this wine isn't it, but if you're looking for a nice house chianti that you can enjoy at home with a nice simple meal and that will add a bit of ambiance to your meal, this is absolutely the wine you want to go for. I give this bottle of wine 3.5 stars out of 5 because it's a good, solid chianti, but it won't blow your mind.


If you're looking for a bottle of Bell'agio Chianti, look here to see what you can find.

No comments: