Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Campo Viejo Rioja


Today I review what is quickly becoming one of my favored types of wine: rioja. This Spanish varietal does a great job of combining the tannins that I love from cabernet sauvignons and adds great vanilla and plum flavors.


The Campo Viejo Rioja that I enjoyed was purchased for $9.99 at my local store, but can be found for not much more than $13 in other stores when I searched online. I paired this wine with a pasta dish featuring a spicy red sauce with sausage and onions in it that was a great compliment to the taste of the wine.


As I said, I've really been getting into rioja's lately, and while this is certainly not the best I've had to date, it is certainly a great buy for the price, and one that I'm sure to purchase again when I'm in the mood for a rioja and would rather spend $10 intead of $20. While this isn't the best example of the rioja, it's still a great wine for those interested in trying this particular varietal. I give the Campo Viejo Rioja 3 stars out of 5 for it's great vanilla flavors and smooth plumb finish.


No comments: