Monday, June 16, 2008

Clos du Bois Riesling


This weekend I partook of numerous wines, but right now I want to talk about the Clos du Bois Riesling that I drank with some friends for dinner on Thursday night. First of all, while the name might be misleading (it's French for "enclosure in the wood"), this is actually a wine from California. I picked this wine up at my local store for $13, as my fiance' and I were having friends over for dinner and our taste in wine differs greatly from theirs.


The Clos du Bois Riesling had plenty of citrus flavors, but leaned more towards the sweet side of the Riesling varietal (which was part of the reason I had purchased it for our guests). While it wasn't sickly sweet like some German Rieslings can be, it certainly wasn't crisp and dry. I paired this dinner with grilled chicken covered in BBQ sauce, and while it wasn't bad, I think I might have enjoyed it more had I paired it with something spicy, like Asian cuisine. All in all it wasn't a bad wine, but unless you're more into the sweeter Rieslings, I'd say you might want to avoid this wine unless you plan to pair it with something spicy. I give this wine 2.5 stars out of 5.


No comments: