Monday, June 2, 2008

2006 Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc


This is the second boxed wine that I've reviewed on this blog, and I have to say, I'm much more impressed with this one that I was with the Fisheye Shiraz. Target has taken the idea of the boxed wine and completely reimagined it. Not only have they redesigned the box, they've created a series of accessories including a stand that raises the cube high enough to easily place a glass beneath it for serving, but a cover that both insulates the wine and hides the "box" appearance beneath a stylish black covering with openings for the spout and the type of wine listed on the box.

The Sauvignon Blanc offered by Target is a good selection for anybody looking to either move away from the sweeter whites with something safe, or throw a party. In fact, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the Wine Cube setup was how convenient it would be for a party. While the wine itself is nothing to write home about, neither is it something I would be ashamed to offer at a huge outdoor picnic or informal cocktail party. It's easy and convenient and the subtle citrus flavors should be enjoyable to most white wine drinkers.

I'm not saying that this wine is anything even approaching amazing, but for around $15 for 3 liters of wine (that's roughly 3 bottles), you really can't go wrong with this wine when looking to entertain a number of people or just to have a basic "house" white on hand for your own enjoyment when you don't want to open up the good stuff. I give this wine 3.5 stars out of 5 for presentation alone.

No comments: