Friday, June 6, 2008

Mirassou Chardonnay


Having already tried and reviewed the Mirassou Pinot Noir, I thought it would be a good idea to try one of Mirassou's white wines. This, it turns out, was a mistake. I really wanted to like the Mirassou Chardonnay, I tried to like it, the nose was good, the initial taste was crisp and refreshing....and then I swallowed and got a rough finish. A rough finish on a dry red can be somewhat acceptable, not great, but acceptable, however, a rough finish, the kind that hits you right on the back of the tongue and almost makes you do the bitter beer face, on a white wine is not acceptable.


Thinking the wine just needed food I paired it with a pasta dish I had made (wheat pasta, grilled chicken, and sun-dried tomato alfredo), only to find that the meal did nothing to help me enjoy the wine any more. While I spent less than $10 on this wine, I still feel as though I wasted my money for the simple fact that I didn't enjoy the wine.


If you're in the market for a chardonnay with hints of oak and you can get past the rough finish, then this might be your wine, but if you're anything like me and you like your steel aged chardonnay's to be crisp and clean, than you should really avoid the Mirassou Chardonnay. I give this wine 1 star out of 5. It's just not worth the eight bucks you'll spend on it.


No comments: